After Hurricane Irene, flooded basements were a common occurrence. A moist basement could lead to the growth of mold, which has to be removed. Follow these steps in order to to protect your health during mold removal.
1. Use a
mask or respirator that will filter out mold spores. Wear eye protection, rubber gloves and clothing that can
be immediately laundered.
2. Reduce airborne spores by dampening moldy materials before removal.
3. Mold found on hard plastic, glass, metal, and counter tops can be removed by by scrubbing with a
non-ammonia soap or detergent. (REMEMBER: Do not mix ammonia and bleach; the
fumes are toxic!)
4. Materials with porous
surfaces such as paper, Sheetrock/drywall and carpet padding, should be removed and discarded.
5. On structural wood, such as wall studs, scrubbing may not completely remove mold growth. It may need to be removed by sanding.
6. After the mold is removed,
disinfect the area using a bleach and water solution or
another disinfectant. The amount of bleach recommended per
gallon of water varies considerably. A clean surface requires less
bleach than a dirty surface. A solution of 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup bleach to 1 gallon of
water should be enough for clean surfaces. The surface should remain wet for about 15 minutes to allow the solution to disinfect.
Concentrations as high as 1½ cups of bleach per gallon of water should be used for wood and concrete surfaces that could not be thoroughly
cleaned. make sure there is enough ventilation during disinfecting and
wear protective gear.
7. Rinse the entire area
with clean water, and dry it immediately. Use
fans and dehumidifiers to assist the drying process.