Here are 20 tips to keep your apartment warm this winter – thank your New Jersey Renters Insurance agent later!
1. Tape over leaky cracks along the edges of windows. (I use clear
packaging tape.) Check to make sure it won’t hurt the paint, but I
haven’t found it to be a problem.
2. Roll up a blanket or towel and place it under doors or windows to block drafts.
3. Put on a sweater.
4. Insulate the windows by hanging a clear vinyl shower curtain
behind the drapes. We did this in one room with three exposed walls, and
it really helped to stabilize the temperature.
6. Close air vents to unused spaces.
7. If you have a fireplace, make sure the damper is closed. (Speaking from experience here.)
8. Keep closet and cabinet doors closed (except for cabinets with pipes during a freeze warning).
9. Buy a programmable thermostat — you can take it with you when you move.
10. A humidifier causes the air to feel warmer.
11. Cuddle up under quilts.
12. Use a space heater, carefully.
13. Put an electric blanket on your bed.
14. Drink something hot.
15. Switch the ceiling fans to turn in reverse.
16. Cozy up with a hot water bottle.
17. Apply weather stripping to doors or windows (easy and cheap).
18. Soak in a hot bath.
19. Wear wooly socks.