Regular maintenance on the exterior of your home can save you thousands in repairs, and claims toward yourNJ homeowners insurance policy. Use this checklist to prevent damage and save yourself money and headaches every spring:
1. Roof and attic: Look for damage, leakage, stains and moisture inside and out. Pay close attention to areas around chimneys, vents and pipes. Clean attic vents to improve air circulation and replace damaged screens.
2. Fireplace: Have the chimney cleaned and serviced after the final use of the cold-weather season.
3. Gutters and downspouts:Check on the condition and reinstall any downspout extensions if removed during the winter. Make sure rain water flows away from the foundation.
4. Drainage and landscaping:Remove debris from ditches and culverts and inspect trees for weak or broken limbs.
5. Sump pump: Make sure it’s working well and reinstall discharge pipe extension if removed during the winter.
6. Deck: Check carefully for any loose or damaged decking boards, framing, posts, steps and guardrails. Make sure to wait until outdoor temperatures are above 70 degrees to do any refinishing or painting.
7. Air conditioner: Clean lint and any debris from the condenser enclosure, being careful not to damage the aluminum fins that surround the exterior walls. Even better, have the system checked by a professional every couple of years
For Insurance in New Jersey, American Insurance Services Agency is
your Insurance Agent of choice. We offer affordable NJ auto, business
and home insurance coverage and policies. Contact us today online or by calling (732) 680-4444